Saturday, September 1, 2007

Knitting with Chopsticks


Okay, here are the pictures from my very first knitting attempt last night. This is my chopstick knit version (since that's all I could find to use at the time!) Does that earn me the right to display the The “MacGyver” Badge (Level One)?

"The recipient must demonstrate clever use of a non-knitting tool in a knitting-related scenario. For instance, recipient has used paper clips as stitch markers, or successfully whittled and then utilized bamboo skewers as dpns."

I may actually have to invest in some knitting needles! Who would have thought? This is really fun! As depicted in the top photo, I chose the Double Cast-on method. Took me a little while to get the hang of it, but now it's east breazy!
Then it was on to learning the Knit Stitch. I chose the English (right-hand) way as you can see below. But, I just can't get a good grip on the yarn using my right hand. It feels very awkward and I can't get the tension right. This may be because I'm so used to holding the yarn in my left hand when I crochet. I actually unraveled my work and started over several times. I may have to give the Continental (left-hand) way a try. It might be easier for me since it involves holding the yarn in the left hand.


Then I switched to some of my husband's wooden chopsticks, as you can see below. Progress was made! I like the feel of the wood alot better! But in the end I still wasn't happy with my results, so I unraveled it again! I noticed a couple of holes in my work which probably meant I had dropped some stitches somewhere. Needless to say, I haven't even touched Binding Off yet... First I want to feel comfortable and satisfied with my knit stitches. So, practice I will. Does practice make perfect? I hope so! I'll keep you posted on my progress...


I just want to add a thank-you to Debbie Stoller incase she ever finds this blog. Her book Stitch 'n Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook is my guide. I actually tried to learn knitting with a couple of other books previously and never could understand the instructions. But she gives wonderful diagrams, drawings, and step by step instructions. I don't know if I would have given knitting a second thought if it wasn't for her! Kudos to SnB!

No comments: